Tuesday, March 01, 2005

 

"A" is for Artist


About.com Art History section offers an alphabetical listing of artists, both the famous and not so famous. The "A" list includes the following:

Agam, Yaacov
Alajalov, Constantin
Angelico, Fra (Giovanni da Fiesole)
Anon
Archipenko, Alexander
Arcimboldo, Giuseppe
Arp, Jean (Hans)
Audubon, John James

As a native of Louisiana, the name of John James Audubon is familiar, assuming he is the namesake of New Orleans Audubon Park. All I know of him is that he was a bird-watching enthusiast.

Dutifully I begin with the top of the list's Yaacov Agam--a Russian?

He is Israeli, and my second "Kinetic" artist of the day! Today is the first time I've come across this expression and already I meet it again. Agam is referred to in fact as the founder of this art form. I have to say that I find myself intrigued. I like the modern styling, and the irregular geometric shapes are rather interesting, unlike the very regular geometric patterns that are found in Islamic art. Below is an example.


Hosted by Photobucket.com

I feel the need to digress for a moment and head to a review of op art.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?